Fire at Makola shopping center caused by generator

General information for Thursday, August 19, 2021

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

2021-08-19

Occupants of the store used a generator after a power outage

• The AMA committee revealed its conclusions

• According to the report, the fire started from a generator

• The committee ordered the demolition of the building

The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) committee investigating the fire that occurred in Makola market on July 5, 2021, found that the fire was caused by a generator.

The occupants of the store used a generator after a power failure and it caught fire. The fire spread to other parts of the three-story building, according to the report.

The fire broke out in the hair and cosmetic products store and razed several stores causing extensive damage to the tune of thousands of cedis.

A committee has been set up to investigate the incident which many traders blamed on the fire departments for not dealing with the blaze on time.

Findings presented by the Accra Metropolitan Assembly committee headed by Assembly Director General Mohammed Nii Adjei Sowah revealed that “more than 90 percent [of the traders at the mall] owning and using small generators… but lately, since there is no dumsor, it seems that the regular maintenance of their generators has been forgotten.

According to the report, improper electrical wiring also led to the fire and the building would be destroyed as the fire weakened the building’s components.

Nii Adjei Sowah said: “The committee also observed that the naked and dangerous exposure of electrical wiring in the building, coupled with improper electrical wiring, especially by non-professional electricians and the use of substandard gadgets , is of great concern “.

“The services of 48 engineers from the Ghanaian Armed Forces regiment have been engaged to demolish the building,” said the head of WADA.


Source link

Peggy P. Gilmore